Why Zeiss doesn't make Autofocus ZF ZE lenses?

Started Mar 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
deleted_081301
Senior MemberPosts: 1,862Gear list
Like?
Re: Why Zeiss doesn't make Autofocus ZF ZE lenses?
In reply to motobloat, Jun 4, 2012

Sounds good ... all they now need to do is try and match the Zeiss for optical quality( ......even if its a Cosina made Zeiss not a Zeiss made Zeiss.....) the quality is outstanding and i personally have never seen the real need for Auto focus exept for sports photography... I know what i want in focus a lot better than the camera does .....But as i said luckily we have the option.........

motobloat wrote:

DickyUK wrote:

I Take it you have never used a High quality manual lens ..??

If you had you would know that the manual focus option on Auto focus lenses is NOT a real option compared to the smooth damped and precise real manual lenses .....
Luckily we photographers have the option to use either ...

This would lead me to believe you have never used a high quality autofocus lens...

Try out the Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.4, or the Canon USM 85mm f/1.2. They both have a long focus throw with a smooth, damped ring and a precise manual focusing ability.

And, unlike the Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 they have autofocus as well, and both have full time manual focus over-ride just by grabbing the focus ring. So if you have your camera properly set up with your back panel button set to AF-ON (so pressing the shutter doesn't trigger AF), this is a great way to shoot with the benefits of AF and the versatility of MF when you need it.

Use one of those for a while. Then put the Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 back on your camera, and you'll see that while manual focus is about the same, it is very handy to have autofocus when you need it. And you only have to buy one lens to get good AF and MF in the same package...

deleted_081301's gear list:deleted_081301's gear list
Olympus C-4000 Zoom Olympus E-300 Olympus PEN E-PL1s Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow