Sigma SD1 Merrill First Impressions

Started May 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Scottelly
Regular MemberPosts: 383Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma SD1 Merrill First Impressions
In reply to filmpoet, Jun 4, 2012

Sorry to hear you got a bad 50mm lens, but if we all judged a camera by one lens, I don't think any camera would be considered good. I have a crappy Canon 50mm f1.4, which first stopped auto-focusing, and then, after a while (a few more uses), stopped working all together. Does that make my 5 D a piece of garbage? No.

The SPP software works fine on my MacBook Air, with just 4 GB of RAM and an i7 dual core processor, so I don't know what the problem is with your computer. I have used it with many raw files from various SD1 cameras, and I have not had problems with it. It seems to process files just as fast as Nikon's ViewNX2, which I installed to view the Nikon D800 raw files I have downloaded. If you do the same comparisons I have done, you need to remember to turn on the raw mode, so you are actually viewing the raw files, rather than the JPEG preview files in ViewNX2. By the way, the Sigma files are bigger than the Nikon files, because there are about 44 megapixels worth of information in them, rather than 36 megapixels (the Nikon D800 only captures 36 megapixels worth of information).

I don't see how you can take a camera that performs similarly to a Leica S2 or the very latest Nikon, with giant files like both of those cameras produce, and say the software or the camera under-perform . . . especially when the camera is less expensive than either of the others and does not suffer from moire problems like the others do.

Just my 2 cents. I don't have any of these cameras, but I plan to get an SD1, because of its price and quality. Here is a quote from the in-depth reveiw of the SD1 Merrill.

"At low ISOs - say 100 to 400 - the SD1's image quality is simply stellar."

Low ISO is where I shoot 95% of my photos, and from my own experience, ISO 800 appears to be superior (as far as noise is concerned) in the SD1 vs. either of those other two cameras.

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sigma SD14 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow