X-Pro 1 lack of exposure compensation in manual mode: what's the problem?

Started Jun 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wilburpan
Regular MemberPosts: 143
Like?
X-Pro 1 lack of exposure compensation in manual mode: what's the problem?
Jun 4, 2012

One of the wish list items I've seen for the X-Pro 1 is to add exposure compensation in manual mode. I've been thinking about this, and I am sure I am probably missing something, but I'm a bit puzzled as to what is expected in this situation.

To the best of my knowledge, if you want to change the exposure, you only have two options: change the amount of light coming in, which means adjusting the aperture or shutter speed, or changing the sensitivity of the sensor, which means bumping the ISO up or down as desired.

In the time that I've been playing around with the X-Pro 1, if I am in aperture priority and want to go up by +1EV, the camera responds by decreasing the shutter speed accordingly. Likewise, in shutter priority mode, the camera would open up the aperture. In program mode, there seems to be a combination of things going on. And although I haven't really pushed the exposure compensation algorithm too much, I'm sure that if you hit the limits of reasonable shutter speeds or aperture, the camera might start adjusting the ISO.

So my question is, what do you expect the X-Pro 1 to do with exposure compensation in manual mode? I don't think it's reasonable to expect the camera to guess on whether you want the aperture or shutter speed tweaked. And if you are in manual mode, my guess is that you want full control over both parameters. And if you want to tweak the ISO, it's easy enough to do that with the default programming of the Fn button to the ISO setting.

Please note that I'm not asking whether Fuji should add this function or not. I'm looking for input on what you specifically want the camera to do if, for example, you've set it for 1/125 and f/4, and twiddle the knob to +1EV. Drop the shutter speed to 1/60? Change the aperture to f/2.8? Change the ISO?

Or, if you know what other cameras do in this situation, what those cameras do in terms of adjusting aperture/shutter speed/ISO.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MattNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow