Q: Color space: Adobe RGB or sRGB, does it matter for raw files?

Started Jun 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jpnikon
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
Q: Color space: Adobe RGB or sRGB, does it matter for raw files?
Jun 4, 2012

Color space: Adobe RGB or sRGB, does it matter for raw files?

I always want to ask this question but afraid to ask, I know someone may tell me: use the search function.

Actually I already did, and I read a lot already. I understand the basic concepts of color space, and I know the benefit of each other and why people may choose each.

But the question I have never got a clear answer:

If I shoot raw, is the recorded data in the raw files different for different color space settings, besides the meta data part which contains camera setting information?

Or asking another way, if I take pictures with sRGB color space setting, when I open my files in Capture NX, change it to Adobe RGB, and save the raw, will my new raw files be the same as original shots taken with Adobe RGB color space setting?

I am not a professional, I want to stay with sRGB , but I’d like to know that my raw files have recorded same amount of data. If in the future I want to work with Abode RGB, I haven’t lost any information because I set my camera as sRGB.

Am I wrong?

Thanks for your time.

-- hide signature --

jp

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow