KEH Purchases from Canada - Beware

Started May 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
mmalkin15
Regular MemberPosts: 234
Like?
Re: International Shipping ie from Canada
In reply to The Big One, Jun 4, 2012

After years of international shipping I learned a number of things that may help.

Use USPS Express Mail ( EMS) if you can. this is the safest and fastest, and no customs processing charges ( other than possible import duty) are charged. The tracking and efforts to find and re-route lost packages is excellent. This is the only USPS service that seems to meet all EBAY/Paypal requirements and costs are reasonable for cameras, lenses, and the like. Priority is generally reliable for larger packages but the risk is much higher if anything goes wrong.

For larger shipments of higher value and/or size/weight I now use a logistics service. They do not want to bother with single small packages but for larger ones traveling overseas - or for freight sized shipments anywhere including in the USA - these folks have negotiated rates with freight companies, FedEx, and others that are FAR LOWER than any shipping rates you will usually find as an individual. I frequently find my costs are as low as 30% of what I could get on my own and the services typically are door-door and include all the brokerage and processing fees. These services usually will arrange to pick up, pack, and ship equipment back to a buyer if the seller does not offer any shipping ( "local pickup only") The service I use frequently uses FedEx as the carrier but last time I sent a shipment ( 2 cartons, about 50 lbs total) to Australia my cost was about 30% of what I could find elsewhere. It was delivered in 3 days and customs processing at the receiving end is expedited in many countries..

I have also found that for some reason some US business insurance policies exclude lost/damaged shipments if USPS is the carrier - perhaps due to some USPS legal requirements for such shipments. This may be the reason that some vendors refuse to use USPS which is too bad.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow