Started Jun 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Waimak Stud
Senior MemberPosts: 1,133
Like?
Olympus 12-50 or 14-42 AND 40-150?
Jun 4, 2012

Hi everyone, haven't been around these parts for a long time, but I just wondered whether anyone with experience with these lenses might have some advice. I really like the look of the om-d e-m5, and think I may have finally found a m43 camera to update my GF1 and replace my D90.

I'm wondering about the kit lenses with the om-d. In Japan the kits come with either the 12-50 or the latest 14-42 and the 40-150, and its the same price for the single lens kit or the double. I originally decided to go with the 12-50 because of the build quality, the extra wide angle, and the macro mode, but I like the small size portability of m43, which the 12-50 doesn't really do, and I have heard that the 12-50 doesn't really impress in IQ.

I don't have any tele lenses for m43, but I do already have the panasonic 14-45 (which I ordered because I heard that the IQ was better than the modern incarnations of the kit lens) plus the 20 1.7 which came with my GF1. I REALLY hope that one day I will be able to save enough for the Panasonic 12-35. I am not a big macro shooter, but would love the opportunity to get close from time to time. Ultimately IQ is the most important thing for me.

So, really I guess the question is, is the new 12-50 lens good enough to forgo getting one standard zoom and a tele zoom for the same price? Or do you think that the other two zooms are not good enough to forgo the new 12-50? Any suggestions? Any comparisons? Any comparison images even?
Thank you in advance.
--
http://dailybento.webs.com/

It wasn't until I stopped trying to be a PRO that my photography really improved.

Nikon D90 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow