Started Jun 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Absolutic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,678Gear list
Like?
Not excited about my D800
Jun 4, 2012

I've had my D800 since March and so far I have not been overly excited about it. I read all the specs and all the glorious reviews. The truth is I realized that I don't really need 36MP. I was fine with my D700 12MP and loved that camera, the AF was great, I had 8fps with a grip, it had levers to switch from single to continuous AF, instead of pressing some button in front and scroll wheels through myriad of modes.

I got D800, but I am not sure I am using all of its features. I very rarely print photos (once in a blue moon, upon vacation) so most of my use is online archiving and sharing with friends and family. The AF I don't find better than D700. The battery life is worse. The video is a nice bonus, but my $650 Sony NEX-5n does 1080p/60fps and has silent AF at the same time and the video quality is better (at least to my eye).

the 36MP files are eating my hard drives. I spend $3K for the camera and I feel I should be enjoying it more than I am doing. I even thought about trading it for Canon 5DM3 (I have some nice Canon lenses, including the excellent 70-200 F/2.8 IS II) but I keep reading about how terrible 5DM3, how soft the images are, how its dynamic range is only 11EV vs 14.4EV on D800, how its JPEGS are mushy, etc., so I feel I have a much better spec'd camera in D800, yet there is no love affair there. Perhaps I am one of these for who D800 was not intended?
--

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +5 more
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
CropNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow