Nikon 55-300mm vs. 70-300mm

Started Jun 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,429Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 55-300mm vs. 70-300mm
In reply to mgd43, Jun 4, 2012

mgd43 wrote:

I had the 70-300 VR but I traded it on the 55-300 VR because as I got older the difference in weight became important.

Darn, the golden years aren't really that golden sometimes, aren't they?

Two things I failed to mention was that I personally hadn't tried the 55-300 and was just going by reviews and other photographers, so I'm not the best judge of that lens.

Secondly, the 55-300 is a DX lens while the 70-300 VR is an FX or DX lens. The OP is shooting a D3100 so it doesn't matter as he can use either, but if his/her aspirations ever go to full frame, the 70-300 is the only choice long term.

I don't say this casually either. My guess is that full frame or FX will be ubiquitous among DSLRs withing a few short years. I think DX will move more and more to entry level only. Even tiny entry levels a step above the very basic might be FX. I'm not sure, but the writing seems to be on the wall to me. I see Nikon releasing a plethora of inexpensive fast primes and f/4 zooms in FX with almost nothing in DX. I think we'll see an 18-300 super ratio zoom in DX and not much additional for a while. In FX we're likely to see an inexpensive variable aperture consumer 24-70 VR this year. What's that made for?

These inexpensive FX lenses are not being released for $3000 plus camera bodies so what are they being made for? I think we'll see an enthusiast 24 mpx Full Frame D600 or something this summer. I think the kit lens is that just patented 24-70 consumer FX. I think the following year, the D7000 class will be also replaced by FX. We might even start to see motorless FX models in the somewhat near future.

The point is that FX sensors have improved and the manufacturing costs have fallen so close to DX it's not a big deal anymore. The failure rate of the 24 mpx FX per wafer set is actually better than the 24 mpx DX sensor fab. Because the pixel density is less, the engravings are easier.

We will have to see, but I've been watching this come for a couple of years and I think it's time now.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow