ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
corneaboy
Contributing MemberPosts: 565
Like?
D4 for shooting birds
Jun 4, 2012

I love my D4 for shooting birds.

If you shoot birds I'm sure you will agree that there are no universal settigns that apply. It is a different task and different set of problems, depending on whether you are shooting big or small birds, perched or flying, against the sky or trees,etc, and other situatiions.

I would like to discuss one situation, a bird perched against the sky and then taking off in flight. I have often had the problem of controlling exposure as much as focusing during takeoff. I use point exposure. If i am also using 51 points focus mode and I lose tracking for an instant from the center point to one of the other 51 points I think the cameera keeps focus but loses exposure. Recently, I have been doing better by setting the Fn button to exposure lock, which I set while the bird is perched. Now i can remove my finger while waiting for the bird to begin takeoff. I then use the shutter button in the usual way for capture as he begins flight. I don't do well using the AF-on button because of short fingers.
I would love to hear what other bird shooters do for this situation.

Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow