I Wonder Why They Waste The Time...

Started Jun 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
Deleted pending purge
Senior MemberPosts: 1,197Gear list
Like?
Re: I Wonder Why They Waste The Time...
In reply to AlexBakerPhotoz, Jun 3, 2012

Well, to keep it being fun, one has to stop thinking very much about the value of judgement when it's been arrived at by jury of unknown or even unexisting expertise.

So we do often agree that, say, an 15th-placed entry may be "better" than the 1st, which only proves my point. Not all who submit their entries here are photographers, just as not all voters know what it',s all about or how it's done.

We also know what factors may lead to this: the very personal definition of what constitutes "better", the devil-may-care voting, the inexperienced voting, the "friends" voting, the manipulative voting, no voting at all, etc.

The value of any photo is not changed after it's been voted upon. But the value of the placement in any given challenge might be of importance to people who aspire to discern what the general public likes, and maybe to those who like to see their work prefixed by "1st Place". To me, every photo will carry a comparative value in conceptual, technical and artful sense, regardless of its place in the challenge rank. I try to learn, and to decipher the author's idea behind the work.

Sometimes this value is great. At other times it will be nonexistent. And although it won't change the way I do my images, I'll have some insight to what other people see in the same themes that interest me.

Once the challenges get easier to run and control, and once hosts all agree to eliminate manipulators, cheaters, picture thieves and sickos like that off the site, then the vote value might become somewhat more accurate. But this requires lots of patience, total colaboration with site mods, lots of well planned challenges, fair entrants and competent voters.
Mission impossible? Yes and no. I prefer no.
--
Fil

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow