Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 ED AF

Started Jun 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,429Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 ED AF
In reply to jmcarp, Jun 3, 2012

jmcarp wrote:

Thanks for the really comprehensive description of the various versions. However, as I said, it's a moot point now because the particular lens I was considering has been sold to someone else. As much as I'd like the 70-200 VR (either version), it's out of my price range right now. Perhaps I'll consider a new 80-200, but I'm not going to rush into a purchase right now.

Let me make a suggestion. Why not consider a used 80-200 f/2.8 AFS model? They are discontinued and is a different optical formula than the 80-200 screw drives or the 70-200 AFS drives.Some say it was and still is the sharpest of all the lenses Nikon has made in this category. I don't know, but I do know it's killer sharp and killer fast at the same time. It came out to replace the screwdrive, but Nikon never did. I don't remember what the going price was new but they sell used for around $1100. It's only been a few years since they've been gone. They've got a somewhat cult like following because many think nobody will ever again build such a good lens.I'm not so sure of that either. Just consider it.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/AFNikkor/AF-Nikkor80200mm/index4.htm

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow