Sensor damage by self cleaning

Started Jun 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Russell Proulx
Contributing MemberPosts: 590
Like?
Re: Sensor damage by self cleaning
In reply to ARNON GEORGE, Jun 3, 2012

ARNON GEORGE wrote:

Unfortunately, I tried to clean my D700 CMOS sensor and scratched it.

Hi George,

Sorry to hear about your accident. When I first used a sensor cleaning brush on a D3 the brush picked up some shutter lubricant (grease?) tucked under the outer edge of the Anti-Aliasing filter (that's what you're cleaning, not the CCD/CMOS sensor) and then proceeded to smear it over the AA filter. It looks like scratches. But it's oil/grease that can be removed with careful and repeated wet cleaning using appropriate swabs. You could also take it to Nikon for cleaning or a local shop that is qualified.

If you did used a brush to do the cleaning then it is now contaminated with lubricant/grease and will have to be cleaned with distilled water and an appropriate cleaning agent.

I'm now very careful when cleaning D3, D3s and D700 sensors to avoid areas of the shutter chamber that might have shutter lubricant.

Visible Dust sells products to deal with most of these issues. I'm sure there are less expensive solutions but I have none to recommend.

http://www.visibledust.com

Russell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow