Started Jun 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alannole
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Using SD as Back-up
Jun 3, 2012

For those of you who have set-up your 5D3 to back-up your images to a SD card, do you find this slows down the performance of the camera. I reviewed Rob Galbraith's performance tests as well as what has been commented on this forum and it has become obvious to me the SD slot will only perform at about a quarter of the speed as the CF slot, no matter how fast the SD card is.

As I have never had dual card slots before in a camera, I trying to determine if it is worth investing in a larger capacity SD card for back-up. I have reasonably fast CF cards (SanDisk Extreme and Extreme Pro cards) and I'd hate to have invested in these faster CF cards only to have the SD card become the bottleneck. On occasion, I do like to take advantage of the improved fps the 5D3 offers.

For those of you backing-up to a SD card, do you notice a lag in write performance? If so, in your opinion is it worth putting up with that lag in order to gain the security of backing up your imagines to a second card?

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow