Started Jun 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
menade
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Lumix GX1 compared to my old LX3
Jun 3, 2012

I have recently purchased the GX1 to replace my old LX3. When i purchased the LX3 it cost me around £350, the GX1 cost me £700 with the x lens. Although, i suppose it is still early days, so far i' m not convinced the GX1 is the better camera. When i compare images the LX3 is sharper and more contrasty even at f2. The GX1 is supposed to be much faster but so far i have not seen any evidence of this; it is a bulkier, heavier camera than the LX3 not to mention noisier - the LX3's shutter is completely silent. When comparing two images i took on the tube, one with each camera, the settings look very different - with the LX3, i can attain a very good image quality using a shutter speed of 160, an aperture of f2.8, an ISO of 200 with EV + 2 and the camera set to manual. With the GX1 i cannot set the EV on manual and i need to bump the ISO up to 800 to get a usable shot at around f4. I was hoping the GX1 would be a quicker version of the LX3 so i could use it more effectively for my street photography but so far it has disappointed, and that at twice the price. So the way it stands at the moment i'm thinking of cutting my loses and selling it for significantly less than i bought it for and getting another LX3. It would be nice to hear an opinion on this or if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow