Started Jun 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Joyless
Forum MemberPosts: 98Gear list
Like?
Crazy thinking about buying a D700?
Jun 3, 2012

Am I crazy thinking about buying a D700 now? As my first FX camera.

Or is the crazy part in thinking that with my light and careful usage, I can use this camera for the next 10-12 years, if not more?

I'm looking at a used, low mileage D700 with the grip and two EN-EL4a batteries, which I can get for around $150 less than what the body only costs new now.

To be honest, we're purely talking want here, not need, and this is a sizable sum of money for me, which is the reason I'm asking. My head is screaming to me that this is a great camera, and I have to get one before they disappear forever. However, there's the rumored D600 which might hold its own better for the next 10-12 years, but I can't really speculate on that. I just wonder how outdated 12 mpix will be, if everyone and their brother has 100+ mpix, 16+ stop DR and what not.

Given that it's a four year old camera I actually think it's a little expensive. If it had come down, say $600, I wouldn't have hesitated, but then again it seems to sell like hotcakes on a used forum here, so it might just be me who's cheap.

Is anyone keeping their camera bodies for an extended amount of time these days, or is the new just so much better that 4-5 years is max usage?

Nikon D600 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow