Slide copying with NEX-7 using SEL30M35 macro

Started May 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Morrie
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
Re: Side-by-side comparison of scan vs photo
In reply to RickLT, Jun 3, 2012

RickLT wrote:

How do you reconcile the differences between the first photo of this thread (greater dynamic range with the camera) and this last photo (less dynamic range with the camera)? Would a reduction in sharpness lessen the "CD" look? Would a more precise WB adjustment make a difference in the color balance? Would taking a raw photo instead of a jpeg increase the dynamic range? I'm looking for answers to these same questions. Some slides just seem to copy better than others.

Rick

The first photo in this thread was scanned long ago, probably using the Nikon scanning software, probably without setting the multiscan option (which doubles the scan time), which probably explains why it didn't pick up the shadows as well as the photo. Also that photo didn't have much in the highlights. For the latest test with Vuescan I tried harder to get the best possible result from the scanner and the best possible result from the camera, and i picked a photo that had lots of highlight detail. For this photo at least (and another I didn't post) the scanner wins (except for resolution, and of course time: 2 minutes vs 2 seconds).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow