Started Jun 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,394
Like?
The Two Triangles of Photography...
Jun 3, 2012

When asked how to teach photography to newbies, it was suggested to me to start from the Triangle of Exposure , where Aperture, Shutter Speed and Sensitivity all interact to achieve the correct Exposure.

So I thought, what for Advanced Amateurs, could one speak of a different triangle, the Signal to Noise Ratio?

Here Resolution, Noise, and Dynamic Range all interact. It is, methinks, what camera makers strive to achieve, a maximum SNR.

This in turn determines, the possibility of extracting Resolution from background Noise, and maximising Dynamic Range.

Built in denoising is therefore essential. I believe this is the central equation which determined the IQ jump of the E-M5. However all cameras benefit from it.

The improvement of denosing algorithms trough time is an essential part of it as explained by an Adobe technical paper.

Another paper, by DxO, explains why there is an advantage to SNR, when increasing the Mpx count.

Knowing the need for denoising allows to choose the right settings for sharpness, contrast and of course the strength of the Noise Filter, to maximise Resolution and Dynamic Range.

Do you agree with this Second Triangle.?

What would be the simplest way to explain it to someone who wants to improve his/her photography?

Am.
--
Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/amalric

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow