ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ideon
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
D4 - D800 dilemma
Jun 3, 2012

Dear all,

I am trying to make a decision for my first (after many years) DSLR body. The photography has been a hobby for me for about 20 years. I am a current user of Sigma DP1 a 2 cameras, which I have enjoyed for their Foveon sensor, after returning from my travels I have realized the 5MB sensor and the overall concept are limiting me in my work and I would like to upgrade to DSLR and to invest into Nikon body and a couple of quality lenses. I am at present trying to decide what body would suit best my needs and I am chosing between D800 and D4. I would also like to invest into 1 or 2 of the trinity zoom lenses. While I use most of the photos for my archive, I would like to have quality equipment which would enable me making photography exhibitions.

What interests me most is:

• Landscapes (from my travels, unique destinations etc.)

• Architecture

• Portraits

(no photojournalism, no weddings)

The pros and cons of the bodies as I am thinking about them at present are as follow:

D800:
+ high resolution - great for my landscape photography
+ price
-- unnecessary large files for most of the motives (eg portraits)
-- slow for some fast action moments
-- body ergonomics compared to D4

D4:
+ body ergonomics, feel, vertical grip
+ battery stamina (for travels)
+ file size
+ fast for some fast action scenes
-- price
-- is 16MB sensor enough for hq landscape gallery prints?

• What worries me most on D800 is the file size which I would appreciate probably only with 10% of my photos - the landscapes

• What worries me most on D4 is the 16Mpixels which I am not sure whether would be enough for capturing the landscapes.

I don't think I will be able to afford any 2nd body anytime soon and the body I purchase should be a longer term investment. Regarding lenses I am thinking of having the 14-24 and 24-70 to start with or only 24-70 to start with.

I would be grateful if you could share your ideas, feelings on this subjects as some of you may be going through similar brainstorming..

Many thanks.

-- hide signature --

Martin

ideon's gear list:ideon's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Sigma DP1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow