Started May 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
iMac, therefore iAm
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,336
Like?
Re: 2 people voted this low?!
In reply to HansJN, Jun 3, 2012

HansJN wrote:

Samantha Kirk wrote:

I would not vote very high for this photo.. Its really nice but nothing imaginative and artistic in it. Just zoom in of the fly's head.

That describes pretty much EVERY PHOTO in existence. You just point your camera at something and click! So what is the criterium for challenges? Appropriateness? Artistic merit? Technical merit? I think this photo is quite amazing, but then I haven't seen as many like this as you apparently have. What you're judging, apparently, is not the merits of the photo, but rather your own experience with similar photos.

I must admit I don't understand the challenges at all. I have entered for a while, sometimes with photos I really, really loved, sometimes with photos I figured were sort of ok. I never figured out any kind of pattern to which photos score well and which don't, and I'm also not learning anything because there is no feedback other than the score - so by now I've decided to not enter into the challenges anymore.

This is my sole first place. I think it's boring and unimaginative, and I entered only because a friend urged me to: http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=276955 It's a source of great annoyance to me that my one winning entry is a picture I despise.

This is a recent shot. I was out and about for the first time with my shiny new D7000, so I was still getting the hang of the camera, but is this shot really so bad that it deserves two 1/2 stars? http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=587201

The sky is rather bright, but it was a very bright winter day and there are no blown highlights. The theme seems appropriate, it is sharp, the composition is pleasing - so what exactly about it puts it in the "lowest of the low" category, then?

I like your pool shot much better. Yeah, it's not the most exciting shot ever, but far more interesting than the forest shot.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow