Started Jun 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
scott_mcleod
Contributing MemberPosts: 936
Like?
*sigh*...
In reply to bgbs, Jun 3, 2012

Like I said... go to the DXO site, go to Compare Camera Sensors

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors

and select D800 and 5DIII, click the Measurements tab, then click the "screen" button in the upper left of the chart (Note: this is not available for the first metric, ISO Sensitivity, but it's there for the rest). This switches from their normalized 8x12" print results to 1:1 pixel results. Watch the numbers magically change!

If it were possible to link directly to the charts in question I would (but they're in Flash, so I can't). As it is, I have the screenshots but I would prefer not to post them due to copyright infringement. I don't know how else to direct you to this information, but trust me, it's there.

I suspect that DXO themselves don't even mention this because it wouldn't make such good (i.e. inflammatory, and therefore click-worthy) copy if there was some metric revealed by their own data that showed the differences depend quite a bit on how you measure it, and how you plan to use the camera (except DR below ISO1600, which as everyone knows is a total wash in favour of the D800).

Scott

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Vs.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow