Windows 8 Release Preview, a different view.

Started Jun 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HeinzKJ
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
Windows 8 Release Preview, a different view.
Jun 3, 2012

I am starting a new thread, since the old one has turned into a Linux discussion.

I have downloaded the first preview (pre-beta) and now the Release Preview. After the release of the pre-beta there was an out pouring of complaints from the Windows 7 users. There was a “desktop” option, but it was very difficult to use. When one loaded a new program, it did not show up on the desktop and when one closed a program, the system went back to the “Metro” interface.

I downloaded the Release Preview and installed it both as an “upgrade”, keeping the programs and personal settings intact, and as a “clean install”. I have a large number of different programs on my computer. For the “upgrade” the installation program analyzed my computer and asked me to uninstall two incompatible programs (Acronis True Image and Microsoft Security Essentials). I deleted them and also cleaned the Registry. The program installed smoothly. After restarting it came up with the “Metro Interface”. One click on “Desktop” brought up my exact desktop from Windows 7. All of the programs seemed to work properly, although it did not like my NEC monitor and I had some problems with my HP Designjet Z3100 printer. If it were not for the little notice in the lower right hand corner I would have assumed that I was working in Windows 7.

I made a clean install on another hard drive as a dual boot system. That worked well, also. I installed some programs and they showed up on the desktop. I also generated icons for “Computer” and “Control Panel” on the desktop using the “copy and paste” routine.

My main concerns as a traditional Windows 7 user have been properly addressed. One can easily look up all installed programs by right clicking in the free space in the “Metro” menu and then clicking on “Show all Applications”. They are represented in a logical manner and I had no trouble with that. It would not make much of a difference anyway since I use this routine infrequently.

I was pleased that Microsoft listened to the input from the users and took appropriate action. Will I buy the new operating system? That decision has to wait until the final version has been released and more information becomes available. I have used all Windows operating systems starting with Windows 3.11 and have not had significant problems with any of them.

Before somebody asks me: I do not work for Microsoft, nor do I have any relationship with somebody who does. I do not own Microsoft stock and I am not involved with selling, buying or repairing computers commercially.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow