5D MKIII DR a step backward from MKII?

Started Jun 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
Phil Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 2,536Gear list
Like?
Re: Phil...
In reply to Ferrari_Alex, Jun 2, 2012

Ferrari_Alex wrote:

Regarding DXO, I cannot understand why people complain - it is super accurate and day and night clear - D800 destroyed MKIII when it comes to the sensor and it is true.

I have no problem with the numerical results of DxO testing, except that they sometimes use the term “image quality” instead of “sensor quality,” yet I saw no images to illustrate the significance of the numbers in the latest article.

It’s well known that two sensors can measure identically and yet the character of the noise from one may be worse in general appearance than another. It’s very difficult to look at the numbers generated by DxO and know exactly what that means when it comes to the final print.

It’s also possible, perhaps even common, for two sensors to measure differently yet produce identical prints, especially at typical sizes.

Should such tests of sensors be ignored? Of course not. They are valuable, but they don’t tell the entire story, and they should, in my opinion, be only a part of the decision-making process when shopping for a camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow