Full frame lenses + APS-C sensors = What kind of issues?

Started Jun 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
whyamihere
Forum MemberPosts: 65Gear list
Like?
Full frame lenses + APS-C sensors = What kind of issues?
Jun 2, 2012

Hi Folks,

A while back, you may recall I asked for DSLR camera recommendations, and I was mostly pleased with your feedback. Odd turns of events have occurred since then, and my new camera budget diminished to the point where I went with a used Micro 4/3 and a pair of zoom lenses for a significantly lesser sum than I was willing to spend on a DSLR body and a single lens. I don't regret the decision, as it has me shooting once more and thinking about framing and the mechanics of photography.

Now that I have disposable income once more, I'm looking at DSLR's again. However, as my experience at B&H in New York - as well as your previous comments - have taught me, I'm currently less worried about the body I'm investing in than the lenses. As has been mentioned to me several times by many different people, it's more likely that I'm going to ditch a camera body than a lens in search of better image quality.

I already have a good idea of what focal length lenses I want - a decent all-around zoom and a few primes - but my concern is more about that 'moving on to a better camera' bit where I may [eventually, someday, hopefully] move on to a full-frame camera. Obviously, a lens oriented for an APS-C sensor doesn't work on a full-frame camera.

As the title of my post suggests, all I'm asking is: What difficulties, if any, would I have if I purchase lenses designed for 35mm/FF cameras for an APS-C camera?

whyamihere's gear list:whyamihere's gear list
Nikon D7000 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow