Pentax lenses with 5 years warranty (no kidding)

Started May 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
Luis Fonseca
Regular MemberPosts: 285Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax lenses with 5 years warranty (no kidding)
In reply to JeffAHayes, Jun 2, 2012

JeffAHayes wrote:

So lemme get this straight... I live in South Carolina, USA. IF I could find cheap passage to and back from Portugal (a bit closer than Spain),

Bit closer, yes. Cheaper passages, not so sure.

and buy as many Pentax lenses I'd like as I can, then bring them back to the US... First, would I have to pay customs on them, and second, would the 5-year warranty still apply in the USA -- and third, if it did, would I have to send the lens to Portugal (or Spain) for service???

I'm not a lawyer so don't take it for granted but if you come here and buy a lens you will have warranty valid in any European country.

So to get it repaired you would have to send the lens across the pond.

I don't know about US customs but the good news is that would get a reimbursement of the 23% of VAT here. This means that the prices will be comparable to prices in the US. Just need to look for "tax free" signs. But I've heard that this reimbursement, made at the airport, is rather complicated.

But that's only theory as you won't find Pentax lenses available in store here. None! You will have to order them and that takes time. So, IMO, it's not a great idea to come here to buy lenses.

So simply put, in Portugal: Tourism, yes. Lenses, no.

Regards,
Luis

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow