Started Jun 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HansJN
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?
Lens rental in the Netherlands?
Jun 2, 2012

Does anyone know a shop or rental place in the Netherlands, preferably in or near Zuid-Holland, that will let me try out a lens properly (keeping it for a day, maybe)? Possibly for a small fee?

Why I want this:

I'm interested in adding a lens with a longer reach to complement my current 18-200. I'm generally happy with the 18-200, and will most certainly keep it, but I find that animals (both in the wild and in zoos) tend to be just too far away and I end up cropping all my shots.

Buying a lens is hard. This is because while it is easy enough to find reviews and recommendations, you never know who is making them : for someone who only takes Facebook-pictures with a mobile phone, pretty much any lens will be amazing, whereas a pro wildlife shooter will think that anything less than a $15,000 Nikkor that was handmade in Japan by ancient monks is a pile of stinking crap.

So I would like to try the lens I have in mind before buying. I've tried that in a few shops around here though, and found that they are not generally happy to let you wander around with the lens for a few hours (outside the shop, that is!). That seems unacceptable for a $1500 investment; I don't want to end up with a lens I'm just not happy with.

The lens I'm considering is the Sigma 50-500, incidentally, and the camera I plan to use it on is the D7000.

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow