GH2 undocumented sensor feature - benefit/problem and the fix?

Started May 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
BillHinge
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029
Like?
Re: GH2 undocumented sensor feature - benefit/problem and the fix?
In reply to mpgxsvcd, Jun 2, 2012

mpgxsvcd wrote:

I agree that it is possible that the GH2 is very sensitive to IR. However, I do not agree that the GH2 is good for astro photography because of that.

I have done extensive testing with the GH2 for AP and it always exhibits a pinkish glow. Using the in camera long shutter noise reduction will help some but it never completely goes away. It is very destructive to the images.

Here are some samples images I took with the GH2 and the GF1. There is a shot from each camera with and without the in camera noise reduction. Which one of these looks acceptable to you?

I am probably going to have my GF1 modded soon to remove the IR filter. However, I am afraid that it will turn my excellent GF1 into what the GH2 gives me which I do not like for astro photography.

It is very interesting in the pictures below that the GF1 gets worse with the in camera noise reduction while the GH2 gets better.

Please note that the GF1 is able to take 4 minute exposures while the GH2 is limited to only 2 minutes. That is another factor as to why I recommend the GF1 over the GH2 for AP. That and it costs less than 1/3 of what the GH2 does.

GH2 without In camera long shutter noise reduction

GH2 with In camera long shutter noise reduction

Weather here is a bit dull so not had chance to do some more tests by the sea

so remembering an article I read in a book that you should use metal lens caps (e.g. leica's) as plastic lets IR through. There is another ref here
http://jethomson.wordpress.com/spectrometer-articles/noise-reduction/
I decided to do an experiment

I tried a similar exposure to yours in a warm room. This with UV/IR filter with camera lens down on desk - original raw saved as jpeg, not edited, no NR

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow