GX1 or wait for GF5 or something else?

Started Jun 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
Andy Crowe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,543Gear list
Like?
For low light pics get the 20mm f1.7 lens with it.
In reply to Curious, Jun 2, 2012

1) The size between both cameras isn't that great and I think both have a rubber grip (the GX1 definitely has)

2) For low light get the 20mm f1.7 lens, that will help more than the body choice. As for bodies the GX1 has some of the best high iso quality of any m4/3 camera tested, tho the GF5 has a sensor improved form previous GF versions.

Another plus on the low light is the flash can be tilted up as a bounce flash (the GX1 definitely supports this and I think the GF5 does, but I'm not 100% sure). It makes quite a big difference to indoor shots, this following shot was taken with only the built-in flash.

3) I think both have the same video quality and video controls

4) Both will be easy to use, the GX1 is certainly more customisable and if you start using it at an enthusiast level you'll find the controls better, but both cameras work very well in auto mode and both also have full manual controls.

Hi. I have been waiting to get a camera to replace my Fuji F31fd. I wanted to get a camera that was rather smallish like the F31fd, but had better ISO performance. My Fuji is having a weird spot on videos which has forced my hand to get a new camera. I'm going on vacation in August so I want to have a new camera at that time for pics and videos. I have the following wants for my camera:

1) Size: smaller, the better. I don't put my camera in my pocket (don't like lint) so I carry the camera in a hip camera bag along with my phone. I also take pics with one hand often so need a good grip.

2) Low light pics: want good low light capability so I can take pics without using flash all the time.

3) Good videos: I have stopped using my video camera and moved over to just using the camera as my video camera. Hoping that image stabilization will be good with the camera video function.

4) Ease of use: I'm not a hobbyist. I come from the P&S crowd who simply wishes to get better pictures in low light and some mild action shots (two young kids).

Given these parameters, I have looked at the GX1 and GF5. I thought that the GF5 would be cheaper, but given my time restriction, I'm thinking that the GX1 and GF5 will be about the same price when I need to buy the camera. Is the GX1 a better choice given my feature wishes? Have the issues with the 14-42mm power lens been ironed out with the new batch of lens?

Should I consider any other cameras? I looked at the Canon S95, but the ISO performance wasn't any better than the F31fd and Sony NEX, but the lens sizes were too big and the price of the Olympus E-M5 is too high for me.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow