GH2 v E-M5 highlight recovery

Started Jun 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
dko22
Contributing MemberPosts: 524Gear list
Like?
Re: GH2 v E-M5 highlight recovery (my short test)
In reply to Fraenzken, Jun 2, 2012

yes of course if the E-M5 had much more shadow noise then that would defeat the whole purpose of better highlight retention. But my initial impressions are approximate equality here when pulling shadows at low ISO.

By the way, just in case anyone is in any doubt, these are all RAW conversions. My default settings put luminance on 20 and sharpness is a little increased to compensate --I've found this gives a slight edge with all m43 cameras but it's not dramatically different from LR defaults and is irrelevant for the purposes of the demonstration.

By the way, surely it should be ETTL (a shorter exposure) to avoid blowing highlights!? I agree that with the E-M5, you can expose much more to the right so there is less need for shadow pulling

David

Fraenzken wrote:

You are right. Still the E-M5 seems to be improved DR-wise by a considerable margin over the GH2 (judging by the pictures I've seen so far).

ETTR helps avoid blowing highlights, but can lead to more shadow noise if the DR of the scene is big. If you expose the E-M5 to the right, you will get a longer exposure time and thus an overall brighter picture than with the GH2 using the same technique. The whole picture gets brighter (without losing highlight details), which in turns means that you don't need to lift the shadows as much which will keep them cleaner.

Cheers
Frank
--
http://naturfotos.bplaced.net/Mix/

dko22's gear list:dko22's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PM1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow