Lumix G Vario 7-14mm - De-centered Elements ?

Started May 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Detail Man
Forum ProPosts: 14,950
Like?
Lumix G Vario 7-14mm Tests - Nerd's Delight - DxO "Lens Softness"
In reply to Anders W, Jun 2, 2012

Anders W wrote:

Detail Man wrote:

Lower right and left corners have a bit of softness, but seem roughly equal to my eyes. To yours ?

Lower right is slightly better than lower left as far as the extreme corners are concerned. But the area where you can see any difference is very limited (extreme corners indeed) and the rest looks all fine to me. Given the subject, we are also at the end of the DoF zone here, and the small difference I can see may well be due to a small difference in the exact location of the focus plane across the frame, which in my experience is a very common phenomenon, especially with WAs.

Thanks for having a look ! Your point about the Near Focus Distance is well taken. The lens being focused past the Hyperfocal Distance (not seen in the crop posted), the Near Focus Distance could not be closer that one-half of that focus-distance. Crop posted was marginal in that respect.

As I said, lenses are individuals, and if your tolerance for assymetry/decentering is set to zero, you are likely to go mad looking for the perfect copy. At any rate, I see no reason to be alarmed based on what you showed me.

Well, $900 USD is a small fortune for me, and it feels somewhat gratifying to try to obsess a bit (now, as opposed to 30 days following purchase). However, I have been stumbling around a fair bit so far at the task. Fortunately, I covered my bases the other day with 3 different scenes - and one of them seems to have worked out to provide me with something more valid to eyeball. And, I have here included versions that include DxO 7.23 "Lens Softness" corrections (in addition to the DxO Rectilinear, Chromatic Aberration and Vignetting corrections applied in all images displayed).

The trees appearing below in the far-field were located (at a minimum) 40 Meters from the camera

LGV 7-14mm, 7mm FL, F=4.0. DxO, "DxO Lighting" Black Point, Increased Contrast, 100% crops.

All of the images below are 4601 x 1201 pixels in dimension. Right-click on "(Original)" to download

Without DxO Optics Pro 7.23 "Lens Softness" corrections :

(Near, but not quite all the way to the edge of the) bottom of the image-frame:

(Near, but not quite all the way to the edge of the) top of the image-frame (inverted camera):

(Approximately in the center) of the image-frame:

(Approximately in the center) of the image-frame (inverted camera):

Without (as well as compared to with) DxO Optics Pro 7.23 "Lens Softness" corrections :

Check out the effects of DxO "Lens Softness" corrections (no other sharpening used whatsoever). Note the complete absence of the "gritty, quantized" looking sharpening artifacts of Adobe LR/CR.

Note: The differences are significantly more apparent to the eyes when viewing the download-able images at 100% view. DPR's down-sampling display application appears to use strong anti-aliasing filters preceding downwards re-sampling, and also down-sizes images to arbitrary re-sizing ratios.

(Near, but not quite all the way to the edge of the) bottom of the image-frame:

(Near, but not quite all the way to the edge of the) top of the image-frame (inverted camera):

(Approximately in the center) of the image-frame:

(Approximately in the center) of the image-frame (inverted camera) :

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow