Started May 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
Knight Palm
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,723Gear list
Like?
Analyzing the lens schematic of the TG-1
In reply to Robert Anderson, Jun 2, 2012

Robert Anderson wrote:

BorisK1 wrote:

So I'm thinking, TG-1 has a 3-stop ND filter and no aperture blades.

I think it probably has two levels of ND filters or two fixed apertures that can move into the light path.

By analyzing the lens schematic, we first have a folded trio of a DSA (Dual Super Aspherical) lens element followed by a prism, and a HR (High Refractive) lens. Then there is a large zoom group, which contains several lens elements as well as two extra components. The first grey is the iris and the last blue one of the group is the leaf shutter. Then we have the two lens elements cemented into a group aimed for the focus followed by another AS (Aspherical) lens. Last, but not least, the sensor assembly, which also holds the IBIS (in body image stabilization).

My japanese language skills isn't sharp enough to tell from this lens sketch, whether the iris is a step-graded ND (neutral density) filter or actually a physically implemented aperture. More talks towards the former, since normally the aperture function is combined with the shutter into one unit for P&S cameras, like I expect for the XZ-1.

Knight Palm's gear list:Knight Palm's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-400 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow