Tripod recommendation - do I really need to spend £200 (300USD)?

Started Jun 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
josephlck1
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Tripod recommendation - do I really need to spend £200 (300USD)?
Jun 2, 2012

Hi. I'm been interested in photography for a long time but I'm thinking of getting a bit more into in. When I was younger I had a (REALLY CRAP) generic tripod which I remember being really heavy and was definitely unstable. The weight and general clunkyness meant I never really used it.

Fast forward a few years ago and I bought a zipshot tripod. Another really cheap tripod and really no frills but it's also ridiculously light. The trade off being it's basically non-adjustable and has the stability of a leaf. Still, I've used it to get some nice night photos and I certainly can carry it everywhere.

So that brings us to now again. I currently have an Olympus E-510 with the kit lens (hoping to upgrade to a 14-54 f/2.8-3.5 soon though!) and a fl-50 flash. In the future, I'm looking to downsize to a m4/3, hopefully along the lines of the OM-D. Basically, I don't really see a time when I will ever have more than 2kg on a tripod and probably not 1.5kg.

With all that in mind, do I really need an uber expensive manfrotto/gitzo/benro? Yes, they are very good tripods but how much stability do you really need? Would I be able to get away with something under £100 and ideally closer to £50?

Any thoughts and advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated

Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow