best compact camera in low light conditions

Started Jun 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
pstasiewicz1
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
also looking for similar....Ricoh GRD IV?
In reply to michelere, Jun 2, 2012

I'm in a similar situation. I have a DSLR and tons of lenses that I lug around when appropriate. But when I go out at night, I don't want to carry that much around (because I'm probably drinking, and I'll forget it somewhere, plus the camera bag kind of ruins my style).

So my criteria are:

• fits in a jeans pocket.

• great low-light performance

• least shutter lag possible

i don't really care if there's no zoom. Don't see myself doing a lot of telephoto work at night - just indoors and street photography.

I think the Olympus and Canon mentioned above are small enough, but maybe don't have the quality of the X100 - but the X100 might be a little too big for a pocket.

I have heard good things about the Ricoh GRD IV..but hasn't gotten a dxomark score yet so I don't have a sense of where it falls.

Do any of the Sony NEX series fit in a pocket? And how is shutter lag on NEX and GRD?

For reference, dxomark scores on ISO for the ones talked about:
Oly XZ1 - 117
Canon G1X - 644
Fuji X100 - 1001
Sony Nex 5N - 1079

Any other options out there?

pstasiewicz1's gear list:pstasiewicz1's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 50mm F1.4 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
X100New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow