Young bull moose with K-r

Started May 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
math guy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,274Gear list
Like?
Re: Young bull moose with K-r
In reply to ccd, Jun 2, 2012

ccd wrote:

Thanks, Joe. No insult taken. Perhaps it would be more important to me if I wasn't just posting these for what is ostensibly posterity purposes. I know they aren't perfect by any means.

Actually, I think the last one (of the original set) is pretty close to perfect. Your composition really accentuates the natural oddity of the moose head.

That being said, your comments are well received and I know you meant them constructively. I don't notice the tint you are referring (at least not to a point of it being a distraction, other than it being somewhat less warm than another shot that is.....well......relatively warmer. Does this differ from a "cast" or does that mean the same thing to you?

Yes, I think you and I are both thinking of the same thing. And it may not actually be in your images. I don't use a calibrated monitor, so it may very well just be the way it looks on my screen.

I do typically use auto white balance in camera and then tweak post processing if I think it's off.

I'm sure there is probably a tighter range of tint that is objectively desirable with photos, but my sense is that just like many other qualities of a photo, there is also subjectivity involved.

I agree. And I often remind myself that although I like it when others appreciate my photography, I am content when I like it. Like you, I do it for a hobby, so the important thing is that we like our own photos. (Not to sound selfish, but that's what hobbies are for, right?)

I usually prefer a "cooler" color temperature (ie a slight bluish tint?) because I think it looks "crisper" and enhances the contrast.....but it just depends on the particular photo and how I think it might look better accordingly.

It would be interesting to hear some other impressions on this.....so I have posted a few more shots below of the same moose on the same morning. The first two are as they came out of camera with auto white balance and no PP in that area. On the last shot I changed the color temperature and made it warmer. Is that more appealing/true to life? Or is this even what you meant?

Yes, that last one does appear closer to what I would expect. I think what really made it stand out in the set you posted was that I expect moose to have a nice brown color.

Is it, as you suggested, something that should always be done in camera?

Well, if you shoot raw, it's not nearly as important because it's fairly simple to correct/modify WB in the raw conversion. It's much trickier with JPEGs (at least using Photoshop CS5 for JPEGs vs. Adobe Camera Raw for raw conversion). But even when you do shoot raw, I think it's still best to try to get it as close as possible at the time of shooting.

In this case the spontaneity was so profound that I was afraid to do too many manual adjustments on the camera for fear of missing a good shot. It's always a crap shoot as to how long wildlife will accommodate.

I know what you mean. And that's a very good reason for shooting raw -- because it's not always feasible to get everything set in the camera.

Regarding these photos, I was fascinated by the insistence of this moose to continually drink from the muddy hole (as shown in the first shot) when there was a clear running stream just a few yards away. My hunch was that there was either something else in the hole (something sweet perhaps?) or that it just something he was doing because of my presence there. I did some research on Google and found some other accounts of moose or elk preferring muddy water.....but it didn't say why. I wonder if there is something in the dirt it needs (minerals) or maybe it just prefers having some texture. I don't know. If anyone has any insight into that, I would love to hear.

I used to live up in New Hampshire, and the moose in the White Mountains and up along "moose alley" (Route 3 just south of the Canadian border) love eating right beside the roads because of all the salt from the winter road treatments. So I would bet it's the same thing over there.

-- hide signature --

-- Joe S.

"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/josephschmitt

math guy's gear list:math guy's gear list
Pentax K-x Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow