The HS20 debate .. Soft or Hard Sharpness?

Started Jun 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ralph McKenzie
Senior MemberPosts: 1,649Gear list
Like?
Re: The HS20 debate .. Soft or Hard Sharpness?
In reply to Danielepaolo, Jun 2, 2012

Danielepaolo wrote:

Ralph, you will have to explain this to me because I probably missed the point. This is the way I see it.

See my first reply.

The argument should not be about setting sharpening to soft versus hard. Instead the test should be on sharpening at the last stage of processing (i.e. setting sharpness to soft and add sharpening once people have downsized and processed for colour taste) versus setting sharpening to hard. Hope that makes sense.

Yes it does make sense. And I would beg to disagree. Post Processing will always be enhanced by the amount of information that you can supply. This means supplying the sharpest, most detailed image you can from the camera.

Soft sharpening will always appear to have less detail than hard sharpness but you avoid the artifacts hard sharpening brings and give yourself room to sharpen later.

I have to disagree here. Soft sharpening gives soft images that require considerable sharpening to get them to look good. RAW images do yield a better result at times.

The detail in the images I have provided show just how much loss of detail there actually is the higher up the ISO ladder you go.

The artifacting you refer to is a by product of Jpegs at high ISO and the nature of Jpegs themselves. This is however well controlled if shooting in the EXR modes. Kim has similar results from the HS25 that show the Jpeg actually is pretty good.

The real killer of detail in these cams is noise reduction. Same principle applies, set NR to lowest and do yourself in PP.

Yes noise is an issue with smaller sensors, we all know this, that's why I and I'm assuming every other HSxx series owner uses the NR Low settings. I prefer to PP out residual noise in an image , rather than add noise to an image which all sharpening PP work does to one degree or another. The amount of noise is dependent on the software used. As is noise reduction.

Love dat Fuji
http://akiwiretrospective.blogspot.com/
Fuji HS20EXR
Fuji HS10,
Pentax K1000, Pentax sf7, Pentax zx-50

Ralph McKenzie's gear list:Ralph McKenzie's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow