GH2 v E-M5 highlight recovery

Started Jun 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: GH2 v E-M5 highlight recovery
In reply to dko22, Jun 1, 2012

dko22 wrote:

yes, to clarify Louis was talking about DR. The D700 still has better high ISO performance but it's far from night and day in the way it was.

The GH2 has (according to DxOMark's tests) 11.3 EVs DR, 655 ISO score.
The Panasonic GX1 (LiveMos 16 mp sensor) has 10.3 EVs DR and 703 ISO score.

It's certainly possible that the OM-D will measure at 12 EV DR. But it should be pointed out that a camera like the D700 was never known for having outstanding DR like a camera like the D800 or K-5 which give you a full 14 EV of DR.

As far as noise, I'm sorry to say, it really is still night and day between a camera like the D700 and the OM-D. Even my D7000 cannot hold a candle to my D800.

You can comfortably shoot at ISO 3200-6400 and noise is not an issue. You can set auto ISO to ISO 3200 and ever think about it. With a camera like the D3s (3253 ISO), D800 (2835 ISO score), or D700 (2303 ISO score) you are getting remarkably clean images all the way up the ISO range with little adverse effect on color/saturation.

The OM-D will not equal the D7000, but should improve by possibly 1/3 of a stop over the GX1. But from what I've seen in the sample OM-D files I downloaded, in JPEG, NR begins to affect sharpness/color at higher ISOs. In RAW, as in the above sample, noise starts to become an issue as early as ISO 1600. DR certainly does seem to be improved over the GH2, which is one of the better m43s cameras re: DR.

I'm definitely interested in the OM-D as it clearly is the best m43 camera, at least for stills. Nice test, thanks.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow