Started Jun 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dko22
Contributing MemberPosts: 527Gear list
Like?
GH2 v E-M5 highlight recovery
Jun 1, 2012

OK, I've finally got hold of my E-M5 and the sun shone briefly today so I wanted to test out the dynamic range. As I've been away on holiday for awhile (mainly snapping away with the Penmini), I may well have missed countless new GH2 v E-M5 comparisons so I'll keep this simple and short. I used kit lenses -- 14-45 for the Lumix and 12-50 for the Oly shot at 14mm

This is a typical sky/shadow scene from my front door. I did 4 exposures at 1EV difference, starting with exposing more or less for the shadows and finally for the brightest area. This was the first shot with the GH2. Highlights in Lightroom 4.1 set to -100. Complete posterisation of the sky.

now the same shot taken shortly afterwards --same aperture, ISO and exposure but I gave the E-M5 just a tad (+0.27) extra exposure to make quite sure that the shot was at least as bright as the Lumix. The highlight rolloff is completely smooth and the shot can be processed effortlessly to taste

Now follows the GH2 at half the exposure again with -100 highlights. It still blows the cloud highlights!

From this it looks like the highlight DR is a good 1.5 stops better than the GH2. The GH2 requires 1/1000 exposure to avoid clipping. Fortunately it has decent shadow pushing --in this respect I see no significant difference in noise between the cameras in low ISO though possibly the E-M5 retains slightly more natural colours --jury still out on that one.

In high ISO, on the other hand, the E-M5 has a very clear advantage as well as I'm sure those who have the camera have already seen. I'd say around a stop better in the shadows. All I can say is, if this is the G3 sensor then Olympus have done something quite extraordinary with it. I don't believe for a minute that it is.

Louis mentioned something about the sensor performance being pretty well on a par with the Nikon D3. I took that with something of a pinch of salt but now having really had a chance to look at E-M5 properly for myself in fact comparisons with my own previous D700 are really not that far fetched.

David

dko22's gear list:dko22's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +3 more
Nikon D3 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow