Started Jun 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
LauraBrien
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Advice for new parents to replace our G12
Jun 1, 2012

We bought a Canon G12 when we became parents. In general, we left it in Auto and were mostly happy. But we still missed shots because the camera took a while to focus, shutter lag was longer than what we needed, and indoor shots tended to be dark. If our son was moving, the picture was often blurry, despite keeping the camera steady and using the children/pets and sports modes. We also couldn't get bokeh, which would have improved many of our shots.

I wondered if we'd made a mistake not getting a DSLR, but the convenience of being able to toss the G12 in the diaper bag and keep it on Auto without having to think about it/play with lenses left me torn.

Well, last week our G12 was stolen, and now we're looking to replace it. I've been sifting through various threads/sites to figure out what we should get.

We're not serious photographers. We just want good shots of our son, to be able to take indoor pictures without flash all the time, and be able to toss it in a diaper bag (not literally "toss", but you know what I mean) and go. We'd likely never enlarge a photo more than 8x10, and that only rarely. We also don't use video.

We would like the ability to get bokeh too.

So...given our past usage of the G12 and what we're looking for, does it make sense to get a DSLR if we're just going to keep it in Auto and the same lens on it most, if not all, the time? If so, which DSLR would best fit our needs? Or should we be looking at one of the 4/3 options?

Thanks for any help/advice you can offer!

Canon PowerShot G12
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow