Started Jun 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ednaz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,377
Like?
m4/3 photos win ASMP - NJ juried show
Jun 1, 2012

I just got word this morning that all four photos I entered in the ASMP - NJ (American Society of Media Photographers, a professional association for photographers, New Jersey chapter) show were juried in. Total of 35 images juried in.

Three of the four were shot with my GH-2 and the Panasonic 7-14mm. My favorite m4/3 body (because more of the controls are on the outside instead of the menu, compared to my G3) and my favorite m4/3 lens.

Here they are, with the results. I'm including the one non-m4/3 photo for completeness, shot with a Nikon d700. The m4/3 photos were printed at 18x24 on cold press watercolor paper, and there's detail a-plenty, and rich colors every bit as good as my DSLR photos.

Nice confirmation of m4/3 image quality.

First place. I think I have 20 different framings and angles of this, including the woman on every step from the first curved one to near the top. A good lesson in why taking your shot and moving on isn't the best strategy.

Second place. Shot during a rooftop performance of a rumba/Yoruba dance group. I love my flip out LCD screen. Camera was pressed into the ground to get the angle. This was cropped a bit, to remove a photographer on the far right of the image.

Juror's choice. Nikon. Cropped heavily. Shot probably 1500 images over an hour and a half between my Nikon and m4/3 gear, a whole area of Havana let their pet pigeons out to play at sunset. It was insane. Think I got three good images. Stupid birds did NOT understand composition.

This one was juried in, no prize. Might be my second favorite of the four. I did some heavy perspective adjustments, including some tweaks to try to make the guy on the jury-rigged bicycle cart not look so weird and small. (But he was weird and small.) I came to this corner for three days trying to get the right people going down the right streets with the right light. Which explains why my family refuses to go on vacations with me.

Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow