Need help with legacy glass nex 7 (first time)

Started May 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
wb2trf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,064
Like?
Don't buy the adapter for the Minolta AF
In reply to marubex, Jun 1, 2012

Unless you have some other reason for wanting that adapter, I wouldn't buy the adapter for the Minolta AF you say your mother gave you. The lens, by itself, isn't worth the adapter. AF, if it works, is dog slow and resorting to MF is harder, typically than for an MF lens. You can get a $20 adapter for an MF lens and a 1.7 Minolta MF lens for $30, less than half the price of the adapter for the AF Minolta.

By the way, I have tested quite a lot of MF glass, many 50s. Generally you want to assume that the lens will be quite soft wide open, more so than with new lenses. So if you want to shoot at 1.8, buy a 1.4. A 1.2 will get you a decent 1.4, as a rule. I've tested 3 Canon fd 50's, a Takumar 1.4, a Minolta, a Mamiya Sekor 55 1.4. All are pretty good, but I settled on a Canon FDn 50 1.2L, until the Sony SEL 50 came out. Now I have a hard time not using the SEL when I want a 50mm. It is very good for a 50mm.

Lately, in the MF world I have been enjoying a Pen F 40mm 1.4 and a Pen F 70mm f2. The nice thing about the Pen F lenses is that they are quite good, very small and their mount is very short. It makes for very compact package that is very sharp.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow