My first post for D800 sample: NO PP

Started May 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
Higuma
Higuma MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,418
Like?
Although you didn't...
In reply to GAK753, Jun 1, 2012

Although you didn't specifically ask for critique / criticism it hasn't stopped others so - if I may - I will offer what I hope is some constructive criticism by at least offering some possible solutions to what I perceive as potential areas of improvement...

To me at least - when you say a photo is a "portrait" it means that the shot is constructed / set-up with a modicum of control of the light / posing / environment etc., Indeed in this situation you do appear to have some control over all three...

EDIT: A quick re-read of your posts showed me that you never held this up as a "portrait" shot - to that end - feel free to ignore my comments below as you may wish... In the end though - and contrary to your opinion - IMO this is not a shot that could not benefit from some post-processing ( or a little better control of the lighting & environment before capture )

So allow me to comment on those three things and give an arbitrary rating and feedback...

Lighting - 5/10... It appears that you used fill-flash but did it in such a way to expose her white clothing ( camera left ) quite brightly ( but not blown out ) which has the effect of IMMEDIATELY drawing the viewer's eye away from her face...

Remedy - add a reflector ( camera right ) to light the subjects face / upper torso - or - move the flash to camera right and very softly fill her face to counteract the strong environmental lighting - or - ditch the flash altogether and use a reflector to fill the subjects face from camera left to balance the environmental lighting - or - fix 80% in post-processing using a combination of dodge, burn, vignette and / or selective contrast enhancement...

Posing - 6/10... - NOT a very flattering pose because it has been shot from too low an angle at a relatively short focal length which has resulted in frankenstein hands and feet & munchkin sized head because it is the body part furthest from the camera ( as previously mentioned ) - model's pose itself is not helping things / little too much tilt of her head - hands well out in front of the body - legs too bent and directly in front etc.,

Remedy - control your model... head little less tilted - knees together - feet lower in order to lower the knees to perhaps a 135 degree angle rather than 90 - perhaps feet moved to camera left and tilting the knees to camera right which lengthens and slims the body and opens her up a bit ( she just looks awkward in this pose ) - with the legs & knees moved it may also allow the hands to be posed differently and closer to the body so as to not be the leading body part - Camera angles etc to be addressed in environment... Warning Posing is very personal to both you and the model but be open to try different things - perhaps read one of a number of good "Posing" books out there...

Environment - 7/10... Nice location, good natural light, nice contrast of natural colors but the environment made it difficult to compose / frame properly...

Remedy - shoot from further away with a longer focal length and at a eye-level shooting position - if there is a cliff behind you then change the environment or move... a longer focal length will help to "compress" her features and not make specific body parts jump out of the frame like it's a 3D movie...

Overall - 6/10... The nice thing is that with just some minor improvements this could be an 8.5 - all the elements are there you just have to understand & control them - If you don't bother to control then you're just taking snaps and not making portraits...

Hope you find something useful in my comments - if not then that's fine too - as long as you're having fun...

-- hide signature --

Cheers...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow