Some advice on speedlights need please - Nissin/Canon/Yongnuo

Started May 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
kobeson
Regular MemberPosts: 385
Like?
Re: Some advice on speedlights need please - Nissin/Canon/Yongnuo
In reply to ScratchDisk, Jun 1, 2012

Thanks for your replies - I appreciate them, and I hate it when dp crashes!

I should have made clear that if I invest in the Canon system, it will be one flash for the time being and I will be adding a second unit + ST-E3 later on some time. So I intend to make it Canon sxclusively, but I wondered if for the time being I could have a dual flash setup with my Nissin while I wait to save up for the rest of the Canon setup.

So I agree, the Nissin + one 600EX isn't ideal, but it is either buy another Nissin flash + Cactus trigger now and maybe add another Nissin later on, or start to invest in the Canon setup, but it will be slower so I will learn the capabilities of Nissin + 600EX for now, and look forward to an exclusive 600EX setup down the track.

Am upgrading to 5D3 + lenses, so I can't afford to buy more than one 600EX right now.

ScratchDisk wrote:

Hi,

" ... if I have the Nissin 622 with my Cactus triggers, will the Canon 600 fire oprically from the Nissin? ... "

Actually, it can be possible to make an optical Canon Wireless link work even when the Canon master is itself being driven (in M) by a simple (manual only) RF link. But, even if you got that to work, I would not recommend doing so. First you lose ETTL & HSS etc, but then even in M mode both units incurr a timing penalty, so your max sync speed would drop 2 clicks at least. Far better just to buy a second Cactus Rx ie one for each off cam speedlite.

" ... how would I go working out which power settings to have the Canon 600 and Nissin 622 at exact same power? Is this easily done? Or a trial and error thing? ... "

Basically you could estimate from their Guide Numbers (specifying; iso, m or ft, speedlite zoom setting - and - if necessary, allowing for light modifiers). Then tune with an external incident flashmeter.

Overall, I would advise rethinking your whole setup from scratch, focussing on need/task. Canon's RT system is designed to be self-contained and excludes other kit/tech. What it does, it does very well. Cheers, Donald

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Daniel

Canon EOS 550D (gripped) | Canon 100mm f2.8L IS | Canon EF-S 10-22/3.5-4.5 USM | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon EF-S 55-250 f4-5.6 IS | Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | Nissin Di622 Mark II | Raynox DCR-250

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow