1/FL shutter speed with M43

Started May 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,819Gear list
Like?
Re: Indeed: it is 1 / 2xFL but it depends...
In reply to Paul De Bra, Jun 1, 2012

Paul De Bra wrote:

the heavier the camera is the more stable.

I really don't find that at all. I find it's much more down to shape and grip size than the weight. For instance I don't get on well at all with the low end canon grips and am much more stable with the G/GH cameras (which are lighter). The canon 1 series is clearly an improvement on the low end canons but I find that is due to the grip rather than the weight.

Also recently when trying to decide about travel zooms and whether the IS of the 14-140 was worth it I found myself able to get sharp pictures down to a lower shutter speed with the oly 14-150 than the panny 14-140 with the IS off. In the shop tried the 14-140 I mentioned the weight difference and the guy said "ahh, but a heavy lens is a good lens" don't know what he was smoking, especially if he'd ever tried to climb a mountain with one.

As to the OP, for the rule you mentioned you should used the 35mm equiv, although with modern IS I can go much lower and as others have said it also depends on how steady your hands are.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow