Shooting Raw or jpg

Started May 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
sensibill
Senior MemberPosts: 4,342Gear list
Like?
Re: Shooting Raw or jpg
In reply to jonrobertp, May 31, 2012

jonrobertp wrote:

Interesting how raw only fans seldom if ever post samples of their own work to attempt to defend their views.

A non sequitur, as RAW users seldom feel compelled to 'defend' the format in the first place, since few photographers of any level of experience beyond dime store compacts and cell phones would argue the superiority or 'honesty' of shooting JPEG. But if you mean to say RAW photographers seldom post samples, that too would be very much in error.

I am hardly alone in shooting exclusively RAW and have exceeded my monthly 200MB limit, also nearing my overall gallery quota (although I just culled a portion of old images to make room). My Flickr is similarly crammed with RAW conversions. Is this phenomenon so difficult for you to understand, or are you just putting us on to garner some attention?

And when they do post, it's almost always With NR done on top of it...adding layers of icing to the cake that was tasty before all the stuff smeared on top...lol.

It seems unlikely to me that you don't know OOC JPEGs have NR, compression, saturation, contrast and other adjustments applied by the camera to varying degrees, or that no human could achieve better results with good RAW conversion and editing apps on a computer. This is literally Photography 101 type stuff.

Anyone with a modicum of ACR/LR know-how can produce RAW converted TIFF or JPEG images that easily surpass the detail and accuracy of most IC JPEG engines. It would be a mistake to assume that your own lack of ability means the rest of us are likewise limited.

sensibill's gear list:sensibill's gear list
Sony SLT-A57
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow