My first few days with 70-200 f/2.8L IS II - Constructive C&C most welcome!

Started May 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
mmullen
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,256Gear list
Like?
Re: My first few days with 70-200 f/2.8L IS II - Constructive C&C most welcome!
In reply to eorlingas, May 31, 2012

eorlingas wrote:

How easy is it to clean water marks off of the front element if a few drops of rain gets past the hood? Do you just breathe on the lens and then wipe it off???

Yes, just carry a clean microfiber cloth and a small lens brush.

I actually rarely bump my lens into anything. What I'm mostly worried about (and previously hoping that the filter may protect the glass from, is dust, finger prints, and water drops, and also from the potential damage it might take when I clean those things off. If the front element is actually able to take those with ease, then I have no need for a filter.

Yes, the element has coatings designed to be cleaned repeatedly. Really, dust or a few little water spots will have no detectable IQ impact (far less than a filter). Most damaging to IQ is oil. I don't put my fingers on my lenses. If it happens I like ROR lens cleaner (residual oil remover). I use ROR about once a year, Zeiss pre-moistened lens wipes in the field and blow the dust off occasionally at home (or before I rub the glass).

There is no need to press hard.

Lens hoods protect the lens from bumping into things and they won't turn into shards if you hit something hard enough to break the hood.

-- hide signature --

Mike Mullen

mmullen's gear list:mmullen's gear list
Canon PowerShot S80 Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow