Started May 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Weyskipper
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
Nikon AF focus acquisition speed
May 31, 2012

Summary question - are the best primes slower to focus than their cheaper siblings?

I have just read the excellent and helpful review jinnuu posted on the 28mm 1.8. I agree with him that focus acquisition is fast. If I look at the the AF speed of some of Nikon's best lenses, the 105 2.8 micro, the 85mm 1.4, the 24mm 1.4 etc, I get the impression that focus acquisition is slower on the best primes. Of these I only have the 105 2.8 and then the cheaper primes of 85mm 1.8 and 28mm 1.8. The acquisition on the 105 is very slow. The 85mm 1.8 and 28mm 1.8 is fast. I can only speak of what I have read about the 24mm 1.4.

Is there some strange inverse correlation between the best primes and the focus speed? I know this sounds strange, but is is because they focus more accurately? Why would they be slower. The whole thing doesn't make any sense to me, but I am sure there is a logical explanation.

The opposite appears to be true with the zoom lenses, my 70-200 2.8 VRII is snappy, whereas the 70-300 is slower.

Weyskipper's gear list:Weyskipper's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow