s90 Control Ring Solution

Started May 22, 2010 | Discussions thread
psdpr
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
Re: s90 Control Ring Solution
In reply to gail, May 31, 2012

I found that the control dial of the S95 is also touchy, even though a little drag has been incorporated into its action.

I much preferred the back button arrangement of the S60/70 - putting the functions controlled by the control dial rocker function on separate buttons on the left back, raising the area around the buttons and controls on the right back. Ergonomically, the S60 was an easier camera to use; I didn't have to look for the controls.

I have large hands and long fingers. Because the S95 has a nearly flat back (a greatly reduced "barrel" coming down from the Mode dial compared to the S90) so there isn't a reliable way to position my thumb on the clear area on the back of the camera, to hold it securely without hitting the dial or one of the upper buttons, unless I look at it. This kills the ability to shoot at eye level while changing settings.

I thought about the Lensmate control ring, and Franiec grip, but the idea of spending $5 for a rubber washer that fits in a first class bubble padded envelope, and paying another $5 for s/h turned me off. So I sought other solutions.

I installed Flipback G2 grip, $10 delivered. It solved my problem. When my second finger is comfortable curled around the grip, my index finger is positioned over the shutter button, my thumb naturally falls in the right place on the back. I can shoot in Auto, or P which I prefer, one handed, using my index finger for the zoom lever. In all modes, my left hand is free to move between adjusting the front ring or bracing the camera from the bottom.

Depending on the size of your hands/fingers this may work for you and your S90's. If not it's $25 cheaper than the Franiec grip, so you can buy the Lensmate ring and still be $15 ahead. In my case, I saved more, and used $8 of it to get a Pedco Wrap Up Always On case.

psdpr's gear list:psdpr's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD400 Canon PowerShot S60
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow