Started May 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gatorowl
Contributing MemberPosts: 705Gear list
Like?
Why 28mm f/1.8G?
May 31, 2012

I am a big fan of Nikon primes. I have the 50 and 85 1.8G primes, and before that the 35 1.8G, 50 1.4D, and 85 1.8D. Of this set, the 50 1.4D was the least satisfying prime, and I still produced many excellent shots using it.

I'm now using the D800. I'm happy with the lenses I have normal-telephoto range, but I'm still looking for an affordable WA option. What I'd really like to see is a 20mm prime or even a 24mm prime. A 24mm 1.8 would be nice, but I'd be plenty happy with an updated affordable, compact 24mm 2.8. Frankly, I don't see the allure of 28mm. It's not that far from 35mm and isn't all that wide. Unless Nikon is planning to produce an 18-22mm affordable prime lens, I'm feeling a bit disappointed by this choice.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the 28mm is an excellent lens, but it just isn't what I'm looking for.

Of course, I may be missing the point entirely, so can someone explain why this focal length is so compelling?

gatorowl's gear list:gatorowl's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +13 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow