Started May 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dark goob
Contributing MemberPosts: 951Gear list
Like?
Using EC-20 on E-M5
May 31, 2012

I recently experimented with using EC-20 on E-M5 with 50-200 SWD and 50 f/2. While I found the image quality to be superb, I did encounter unusual AF issues.

I will be reporting it to Olympus Support, however before I do, I want to ask if anyone knows if this is a pre-existing known issue that may have no technically possible solution.

I already checked firmware updates. No dice.

Now the EC-20 is brand new and everything works perfect on E-5 with phase AF. (Didn't test contrast AF on E-5 w/these yet).

However on E-M5 the contrast AF will give false positives. It goes back and forth then for a moment, seems to find a good focus spot -- but just then it zips back and forth settling finally a slightly blurry, front-focussed image.

I am surprised by this, since although I know contrast AF will be very slow, it seems to be very accurate with these lenses sans EC-20. So I am wondering if this particular EC-20 is defective, or if the issue lies with firmware or something else.

I don't think it is the IBIS because after going to MF, I started getting very sharp images even at 25:1 distance:width (200mm x 2). Also, the camera seem to be consistently front-focussing regardless of the lens or subject matter, which points to the issue being related to something else.

Thoughts?

-=DG=-

dark goob's gear list:dark goob's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow