ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chuck Fralick
Regular MemberPosts: 415Gear list
Like?
Lens De-centering
May 31, 2012

Folks,

I have had a few Pentax SLRs and DSLRs over the last many years. Last DSLR I had was a K20D and I generally liked it. I recently ordered and returned an Oly OM-D. The camera was great, but it was just simply too small for me. So, I decided to take the plunge on a K-5 with the kit lens (18-55 WR). I have no real interest in the lens other than it was a good deal with the body and I don't want to raise the ire of my wife for buying too many toys at once. I clearly have my eye on some of the better Pentax and third party lenses.

One thing I noticed on the K-01 review was a very vocal observation of Pentax lens de-centering and quality control. Seems very odd to me since manufacturing is certainly sophisticated enough these days to prevent this. Is this the experience of the Pentax folks out there? Some inordinate number of poorly assembled lenses? If you have discovered such a lens in your kit, can and will Pentax correct the issue under warranty? How have you folks tested for this? Simple resolution chart or something more Gucci?

It's not deterring me from getting the K-5, but does have me just a smidgen paranoid about the lenses. i've never used a K-5 (other than in the shop local to me) but it gets rave reviews from everyone, so looking forward to it.

Cheers,
Chuck

Chuck Fralick's gear list:Chuck Fralick's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Pentax MX-1 Nikon Coolpix AW110 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 +3 more
Pentax K-01 Pentax K20D Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow