In defense of the 18-55mm kit

Started May 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,254Gear list
Like?
Re: we all get made fun of for rehashes
In reply to dumokun80, May 31, 2012

dumokun80 wrote:

well, the kit lens is really a crap shoot, if you get a good one you get decent IQ if you get a crappy copy you get less than desirable IQ

I tried about 3 kit lenses and compared them to the sigma 30mm at the same focal length and aperture, none of them can compare with the sigma for corner to corner sharpness even with the sigma at F2.8, only one of them was able to come close to center sharpness with the sigma.

I can whip out my trusty, old Minolta primes and do better as well. But after some comparisons, for most use, I don't find the inconvenience of primes worth it. Sometimes I will swap a lens. But yes, if IQ is the bottom line, I would go for primes over the kit lens.

As for the Sigma, I'm still waiting for something else, but it's nice to see good lenses made available. From the photos I've seen, I think my main objection to the Sigma is the bokeh. This is going to, IMHO, have more of a negative impact of a photo than resolution differences between this and the kit lens.

I'm not sure I follow all of the prime-vs-kit-lens comparisons. IMHO, if that's what needs to be done to make the kit lens look bad, then it must be pretty good. Zoom lenses just aren't as good as prime lenses, at least not generally and not without great cost. Have modern optics advanced so far that we should expect zooms (the cheapest kit lens, no less) to equal or surpass prime lenses? I'm impressed that it can compare as well as it does.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
JohnNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow